Denver Child Relocation Lawyers

Denver Child Relocation Lawyers

Denver Child Relocation Lawyers

When custody orders are in place and a parent wants or needs to move, (s)he will need to file a request for relocation with the family court. The judge will consider several factors when determining whether to grant the request, and these rulings can have significant impacts on future parenting time for both parents.

Whether you are pursuing or objecting to a parental request for child relocation, you can turn to the trusted Denver child custody attorneys at Uptown Law, LLC for exceptional representation and effective help protecting your interests. Strategic and highly skilled, we will vigorously advocate on your behalf in and outside the courtroom, fighting at every point to protect your child’s best interests and achieve optimal outcomes.

Are You Involved in a Child Relocation Case?

Call (303) 861-0485 or Email Uptown Law, LLC
for a Free Consultation, Helpful Answers & Essential Legal Advice

We can answer your questions and explain your legal options and the process that lies ahead. We can also help you take the right steps to position your case for success so that you can transition as smoothly as possible into a new chapter of your life.

How to Pursue a Child Relocation Case: What Occurs When a Parent Wants to Move?

A parent who wishes to relocate is legally required to notify the other parent about the moving plans. By law, the notice must be written and must include details regarding:

  • The location where the parent is planning to move
  • The reason(s) for the move
  • The proposed plans for changing the parenting time arrangements.

Please be aware that this only refers to relocations that are a substantial distance from away from the current residence and the other parent, like somewhere hours away or out of state.

If the other parent objects to the relocation request, (s)he must file the objection with the court, explaining the reasons for not wanting the move to occur. Once an objection has been submitted to the court, the court will schedule a relocation hearing within 35 days (of the date on which the objection or response was filed).

This resource has downloadable court forms for all types of Colorado child relocation cases and motions.

How Will Child Relocation Affect Custody Orders & Parenting Time Arrangements?

When relocations involve plans to move substantially far away from a parent, the parent who’s moving will:

  • Propose a plan for how parenting time should be restructured to accommodate the new circumstances
  • Provide the court with information about the new neighborhood, local schools and other opportunities at the new location.

If the other parent objects, (s)he can submit his or her proposal for how parenting time should be restructured (or why it should not be changed). The objecting parent should also provide the court with information about his or her neighborhood, as well as the available schools and opportunities in his or her community.

Ultimately, the court will focus on making a determination that serves the child’s best interests.

What Factors Impact Whether a Relocation Request Is Granted?

To identify what promotes a child’s best interests – and, by extension, whether a relocation request will be granted, the family court will consider factors like (but not limited to):

  • Each parent’s relationship with the child
  • The reasons for the move
  • The reasons for the objections
  • The potential impact of the move on the child
  • The educational opportunities and support system available to a child in the current and new locations.

Do I Need a Lawyer to Help Me with a Child Relocation Case?

Yes. Relocations cases can be complex – and their outcomes can have big impacts on your time and relationship with your child. Given all that hangs in the balance, it’s crucial to partner with a custody attorney who can represent you and fight for your interests while guiding you through the process as favorably and efficiently as possible.

A Denver Child Custody Attorney at Uptown Law, LLC Can Help You with a Relocation Case: Contact Us

Whether you need to pursue or fight a relocation request, contact a trusted Denver child custody attorney at Uptown Law, LLC for outstanding representation, personal service and optimal outcomes.

Call (303) 861-0485 or Email Our Firm for a Free Case Review.

Uptown Law, LLC Has 5-Star Ratings on Avvo, Facebook & Yelp.

Uptown Law, LLC provides unbundled and full-service legal representation for all types of relocation, custody and family law cases. We are focused on:

  • Helping our clients successfully navigate the challenges and uncertainties of the process
  • Safeguarding what matters most to them while helping them work towards their objectives
  • Securing the best possible resolutions.